The Australian federal government has blocked the Under-19 men’s team of North Korea from entering the country. “Hosting the team would be contrary to the Government’s strong opposition to North Korea’s illegal nuclear and missile development programmes”, Australian foreign affairs minister Julie Bishop told theyesterday.
The Korean team was scheduled to play a qualification match foron November 8 in Shepparton, Victoria. Julia Bishop said, “It would also be inconsistent with our efforts to increase diplomatic and economic pressure on Pyongyang to comply with UN Security Council resolutions.”
A Victorian government spokesperson said the match would be rescheduled, and played outside the Australian borders at a “neutral venue”.‘s statement said they “respect[ed]” the federal government’s decision.
Hong Kong and the Northern Mariana Islands are the other two counties in the same group with North Korea and Australia. In March, a qualification match between Malaysia and North Korea for 2019’swas rescheduled after Kim Jong-Nam’s death at , half-brother of North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un. On September 28 the match was postponed — by this time, its third postponement — after the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs barred Malaysians from travelling to North Korea.
Last month, at the UN general assembly, US president Donald Trump said the US “would […] totally destroy North Korea” if the US had to defend the US and its allies from North Korea. In the revised list of travel bans, Trump banned North Koreans from entering the US.
- Tom Dutton. “North Korea U19s football team refused entry to Australia over ‘illegal nuclear and missile programmes’” — , October 10, 2017
- Rashida Yosufzai. “Australia blocks North Korean youth football team over nuclear program” — , October 10, 2017
- “Malaysia vs. North Korea Asian Cup qualifier postponed again by AFC” — , September 28, 2017
- Jeff Mason and Phil Stewart. “Trump slaps travel restrictions on N.Korea, Venezuela in sweeping new ban” — , September 25, 2017
- Trump’s combative first speech to the UN general assembly” — , September 19, 2017 . “